The creme caramel recipe is on eof the most well known dessert in the world and it is nothing new, but it is always good to have a recipe at hand when you want to make this lovely dessert. The recipe below will show you the French version of the dessert which will produce light and silky creme caramels to be enjoyed without moderation.
Ingredients needed ( enough to make 8 ramequins or more) :
- 1 litre of milk
- 4 full eggs
- 4 eggs yolks
- 150 grams of caster sugar (white powder sugar)
- 1 fresh vanilla pod split open.
For the caramel sauce:
- 150 grams of sugar
- 100 ml of water
before you start, preheat your oven at 180 celcius.
First step, make the caramel sauce and coat your ramequins:
- Take a small size sauce pan pour in the sugar and water
- then reduce until you get a blond caramel
- when done pour a little bit of caramel in each ramequin making sure the bottom of each ramequins is covered in caramel.
Next, make the custard mix:
- pour your milk in a sauce pan and put it on the a medium heat to warm up gently.
- split open the vanilla pod, scrap take the seeds out stirn them through the milk as well as throwing in the vanilla pod itself.
- on the side, in a large preparation bowl pour in all of the sugar + the 4 full egss + the 4 egg yolks.
- whisk vigorously until you get a whitish mix
- now take your milk of the heat ( it has to be nice and hot but not boiling) and pour it in your egg and sugar mix little bit at time until all the milk is incorporated.
- next, let the mix cool down a little while you prepare your ramequin
Now Cook your creme caramel au bain marie:
- Take a large roasting pan and cover the bottom with baking paper ( that’s to avoid the boils to hit the ramekins and water to splash into the preparation)
- when done, lay out your ramequins in the roasting tray and pour in the custard preparation you made earlier in each ramequins
- put your roasting tray in the oven and add boiling water in the roasting tray until you the water reach three quarters to the top of the ramequins.
- when done close the oven door and cook for 25 to 35 minutes at 180 celcius.
Serving your creme caramel:
- when the creme caramel are cooked let cool down then put them in the fridge until totally cold
- when the cremes are cold take the ramequins out of the fridge and enjoy.
- to serve on a plate take a knife, cut around the edges of the ramequins, turn the ramequins upside down on a plate and the creme should fall out on the plate.
One strong advice:
best to use aluminum disposable ramequins or mold as they can be pierce with a knife when turned upside down which will let air in and allow the creme caramel to fall of on the plate without any efforts at all.
Step by step video here