The Beef bourguignon is a simple family dish that is known in many countries around the world for its unforgettable red wine sauce with Mushrooms, bacon combined with tender pieces of stewed beef. In a nutshell its simply a typical French classic.
Today i will share the a version of that recipe that is done in many households in France. It is a recipe that well suited for home cooking and can be done following a few simple steps.
Pan to use: stew pot or stockpot (ideally cast iron)
for unit conversion you can use this site or others:
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1 kg of chuck casserole steak (beef)
- half a liter of red wine (ideally pinot noir or burgundy wine)
- half a liter of veal stock
- 100 grams of onion
- 100 grams of carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 grams of smoked pork belly
- 200 grams of button mushrooms
- 10 pickling onions
- a small bunch of parsley
- 20 grams of plain butter
- 1 bouquet garni
- 25 grams of plain flour
- salt and pepper to season
- peanut or sunflower oil for cooking the meat
First step, the prep:
- Start off by preparing all of your ingredients (“mise en place” in French)
- Cut the beef in cubes of 50 grams each
- dice your onions
- dice your carrot
- prepare your bouquet garni or use a ready made one from the shop
- dice your bacon
- peel and wash your pickling onions
- Taste your wine (to make sure it is not corked)
- pour in you veal stock and red wine in individual cook pans and bring to the boil
- preheat your oven at 240 celsius or 450 Fahrenheit
Second step, making the stew:
- start by browning your cubes of meats in oil and turn them over when they have a nice light brown color.
- when done, discard the meat from your pan and pour in the diced onions and carrots.
- let the carrots and onions “sweat” on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- add the meat back in the pan,stir well and sprinkle over all of the flour.
- put your pan in the oven (without a lid) for 5 to 6 minutes to “toast” the flour
- After 5 minutes take the pan out of the oven and place the pan back on the stove
- stir the flour with the meat well and add the veal stock and red wine over the meat
- add the 2 garlic cloves, the bouquet garni and season to taste with salt and pepper
- when done put a lid on the pot and place it back in the oven at 200c or 420f for 2 to 2.30 hours stirring from time to time, making sure the sauce does not get too thick (in which case you can add water or wine)
Third step, preparing the garnish:
- pan fry the bacon in a frying pan with a bit of oil.
- when the bacon is nice and golden discard it on a side dish on a paper towel
- using the same pan pour in the mushrooms and pan fried them until golden
- caramelised the pickling onions (put the onions in a cooking pan, cover with water just above the onions, add two nudges of Butter, about 20 grams of sugar, cover with a lid and cook on medium to low heat until all the water has evaporated and sugar caramelized)
Final step, dress up and serve:
- After 2 hours or so take the stew out of the oven and make sure the meat is nice and tender but cutting a piece of meat on a chopping board or plate.
- when you are happy with your meat, discard all the meats piece one by one in a serving dish and pass the sauce through a sieve into another pan to discard all the bits of onions,carrots ,tiny pieces of meats etc.
- once done, add all of the bacon and mushrooms to the sauce and stir well.
- finally you can now pour the sauce over your meat that sits in your serving dish and finish it off by sprinkling the the caramelized onions on top as well as a bit of freshly chopped parsley
you can now place the dish on the table and serve it with a side of boiled potatoes, rice or even just freshly toasted French baguettes slices.
To aid you with the recipe I would recommend watching the video recipe as well.