The authentic French onion soup is the simplest recipe there is to make. that recipe has been around for centuries and has not changed much since then, away from adding cheese on top. For the best results you have to use the best quality ingredients you can find as this is what will guarantee you to get that delicious and authentic French flavor.
Ingredients for a starter size soup for 4 people.
- 400 grams of brown onions
- 1 liter of stock
- 50 grams of top quality unsalted butter
- 100 to 200 grams of gruyere or comte cheese (grated)
- a few slice of French baguette or similar slightly toasted
- salt and pepper for the seasoning
Step 1 prepare your ingredients:
- First peel, wash and slice finely your onions (use a food processor to make things easier)
- make you bouquet garni (with leek, celery,thyme,1bay leave and parsley stocks) tie together)
Step 2 heat up you stock and cook the onions:
- heat up your stock (homemade or top quality of the shelf form the shop)and let it simmer in a pan on the side of the stove.
- Then, melt 50 gram of butter in a cast iron or thick bottom pan and put all of the onions in. stir them well and season wit a bit of salt and pepper.
- when done cook the onions on a medium heat for 30 minutes until brown ( you will have to stir them regularly to get that nice brown color.
- when the onions are nice and brown, add your stock bit by bit, stir gently, add the bouquet garni and let the soup cook on a low heat for another 20 minutes.
Step 3 dress up and serve:
- Take a small bowl or dish (preferably with handles) put a few slices of baguette bread on the bottom pour in some soup (3/4 from the top) then add a few more slices of bread on top.
- when done cover the bread with lots of comte cheese and place the dish (es) un der the grill for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and start to crust.
- When done take the dish (es) out of the oven and serve immediately.
Video instructions below: